Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sec. 01-01. A Pleasure and A Blessing All In One

My team for Scavenger Hunt 
Hello, my name is Necas Collins and I would like to start out by saying, I am here all the way from, Claremore, OK to represent Rogers State University and myself. Thus far, my journey in Washington, DC, has been a pleasure and a blessing all in one.

I am honored to be the first student athlete from my university to receive this prestigious scholarship to attend the Washington Center Academic Program, while interning at the Montgomery Public Defender’s Office. The opportunity presented, has been one of the best academic accomplishment in my life thus far. The Washington Center focuses on the transformation of students into professional leaders of tomorrow’s world. I have it in my intentions to mimic a sponge and absorb as much knowledge and understanding as capable. I am sure this will be a life changing experience as well.
Bryant Park

34th and 7 AVE
    
    Prior to my arrival in The Nation’s Capital, I had the privilege to spend two weeks in New York City with family members, while preparing for my summer internship program. I also had the opportunity to venture into the city of Manhattan to experience some of its magnificent sceneries. The skyscraper, bright lights, activities, and the relentless bustle of people will astonish anyone. My last day was spent in Central Park, which is one of my favorites.

    I left New York City on the 28th of May and an embarked on this journey starting with a four and ½ hour drive. Unfortunately, it was extended into a five and ½ hour drive because of a heavy downpour of rain. Upon arriving at The Washington Center, I checked into my room, unpacked my luggage, and met my roommates. So far, my roommate is welcoming. Together, will be working at the Montgomery District Court for the Public Defender’s office, we also will be taking the same class while we are here.
United States Capitol Building

Museum of Natural Hisory

On Thursday after my orientation, my roommate and I took a 15min run to the White House, the United States Capitol building, and back to our apartment. On Friday, I had met students who are law and criminal justice majors in the program. Together we had to partake in a scavenger hunt in the city; this hunt had us all over the capital from searching for historical locations to Museums, my adviser used this as a strategy for us to get familiar with the city we will call home for the next ten weeks. My group and I took full advantage of the hunt; we went to visit Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, National capitol, and other Historical sites in the city.
On Saturday my roommate and I, along with other students did a “dry run” to familiarize ourselves with the area we will be interning. We wanted to be prepared and have an idea of our trip beforehand to prevent any complications. Overall, the commute is about 45 minutes long. 

On Sunday a couple colleagues and I, took a trip to the Billy Goat Trail for a Hiking experience, the scenery was glorious. This was one of the first times I went hiking and it was a great experience. Even though it was great, it was not easy going through the trail. When I reflect back on my purpose for being here, I can relate it to the hike. I have new surroundings; everything is glorious; the task to complete will not be easy, but the task will be completed as long as I persevere. 
Darlington Memorial Fountain - Judiciary Square


Images Captured at the Museum Of Natural History





The pictures below was captured during my  hiking trip, with an addition of the Washington Monument.  

Hiking Trip
Washington  Monument
The Billy Goat Trail 




No comments:

Post a Comment