Friday, November 7, 2008

I'll always remember...


where I was when Barack Obama was elected President of the United States! Tuesday night was one of the main reasons why I wanted to be in D.C. this semester and it definitely did not disappoint. The atmosphere before and after the election has been one of the most interesting things I have ever experienced.

I started out election night watching the results at The Monacle restaurant, it's on the Senate side of the capitol and a lot of Senators and Representatives like to go there. It's interesting because there was an older autographed picture of John McCain on the wall right by our table. After hanging out at the Monacle, my friend Tere and I decided to go check out some more places. I wanted to experience all D.C. had to offer that night. So, we went to another restaurant called Bullfeathers (I've mentioned this place before) over on the House side of the Capitol. The atmosphere was much more lively and festive there, it was a younger crowd compared to the Monacle so we decided to that we would stay as long as we could before having to take the subway back home, because their service ends at midnight.

It was at Bullfeathers, where I watched the historic moment at around 11 or 11:30 when it was announced that Obama had won. The place went wild. By that time, I think most of the McCain folks had already gone home.

My only regret of the night and I didn't even think about this until I got back to my apartment and it was too late, was that I wish I would have gone to the White House. Outside the White House, is where all the energy and excitement was at. Traditionally, it's not a place where people go, so maybe that is why it didn't occur to me,but for some reason, the street in front of the White House was packed that night. I finished the evening by running on the treadmill for 40 minutes while I listened to President-elect Obama's speech.

Change of subject, this is one of my favorite pictures because Dennis Miller was so cool when I met him. He's the national spokesperson for USA cares, a really good organization that does amazing things for the troops and their families.

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture! It was nice to meet you at the AUSA meeting in DC. Thanks so much for the nice things you had to say about USA Cares. It's words such as yours that helps us help others.

    Thank you and take care!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just Want to say, Go Obama !!!!:D the best thing of the nigth was your face when he won.

    ReplyDelete