Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Am Loving It!

The first day of work was basically an introduction to everything. My supervisor gave a tour of the office building, introduced me to other coworkers, gave insight on what the company is about and informed me of my responsibilities while interning at Tribune. I couldn’t wait to jump into things and get started. Before leaving work, I made my time schedule for the next two weeks. My supervisor is flexible so my time schedule fits to my interest. For the rest of the week, my time was spent learning about the editing systems on the computer, reading through the news wires, logging and sound biting, and getting familiar with my new coworkers and their names. Throughout the week, the big discussion has been about President Obama’s stimulus bill package proposal.

Thursday, I began my night class: Media, Ethics and the Movies. After a brief class discussion we watched a movie called “The Front Page”. It’s a funny look into the newspaper business, where journalist will do about anything to make the front page. Our assignment was to find out the ethical issues throughout the movie. Thursday’s will be my longest days with work in the day, and class at night.
Friday, I was able to meet up with Candice and her friends. We had a great night out in the town.




Saturday, my friend Jasmine and I plans were to go to the African American museum, but by the time we arrived, the museum was closed. So from there we took a walk up and down U Street. U Street is an historic area known for its music and culture of the African American community. After a couple of hours, we decided to eat at Ben’s Chili Bowl. It’ a restaurant known for its chili dogs, half smokes and milkshakes. The line outside of Ben’s was long and around the corner. We met a woman by the name of Dr. Valentine, a DC native. She was pretty known around the area, so by the time we got to the door we were served immediately. I was amazed by the whole place because so many famous people have eaten here and more recently, President Obama. Let me tell you, the food was delicious and affordable! To top it off, Dr. Valentine paid for our food…. So nice of her. We ended up trading business cards with her; she had connects to a television station called TV ONE. So the networking process begins.













Sunday was also a good day too. My roommates and I went to few museums near the National Mall area. The weather was actually feeling nice, a good day for sightseeing. First, we went to the National Air and Space museum and then we went to a couple Art Gallery museums. Later that day I met with my advisor and other interns in the communications program for dinner, at a fast food restaurant called El Pollo Rico. They mainly serve two things: chicken and fries…. Oh and cole slaw if you want it. You get to chose from a whole, half or a quarter of chicken… The only place I’ve been to, with just that on the menu. But the food is really good, filling and affordable!















Unfortunately, I stayed up really late Sunday, catching up on my homework. One of my goals is to keep procrastination to a minimum…. But I had a great week!

My quote of the week:
“Carpe Diem”














Signing off,
Erica


































1 comment:

  1. Ben's Chili Bowl is good stuff. Z Burger is another cool spot in the District. It is casual with a good selection of food and milkshakes. The one in Tenlytown is real cool, the servers are nice.

    ReplyDelete